AKC's S.T.A.R. PuppySM Program
We now offer the AKC's S.T.A.R. PuppySM Program.
S.T.A.R. stands for Socialization, Training, Activity, and Responsibility. The
AKC (American Kennel Club) developed this program to encourage owners to train
their dogs at an early age and to help them overall getting off to a good start
with their puppies. This program is open to purebred and mixed breeds up to 1
year of age.
Owner and dog have to attend at least 6 weeks of class and
show their skills in 20 items, tested and marked off at different weeks of the
class. Some of the skills on this program are "pre-CGC" skills (Canine Good
CitizenT). You can later (after more training) take the CGC-test, considered
the test of good manners for dogs. Your S.T.A.R. puppy evaluator is also a
CGC-evaluator, and we usually offer at least one CGC-test per year at the
Regine Dog Training Facility. Upon passing all 20 items, you can send your
results to AKC® and will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (not a collar
tag). You'll also receive a package including a frameable certificate, the AKC
Puppy Handbook, a discount to enroll in AKC Companion Animal Recovery
Corporation, and the Monthly Email Newsletter from AKC.
We offer the S.T.A.R. Puppy Program in conjunction with all
our Puppy1/Puppy2 and Foundation Classes (FC). You can enroll your dog in the
PSP (Puppy School Package) or FC and additionally choose the S.T.A.R. puppy
program. If you already took the Puppy1-Class, you can choose the S.T.A.R.
puppy program when signing up for Puppy2.
The cost to enroll your puppy in the AKC S.T.A.R. puppy
program is $20. Just add the "STAR Puppy" on the pricing page to your shopping
cart when signing up for the class. If you're not sure if you want to sign up
your dog for the additional S.T.A.R. puppy program yet, you can enroll for it
latest at the beginning of week 4 during Puppy1 or FC, or if you already took
Puppy1, latest before week 1 of Puppy2.
20 STEPS To Success: The AKC
S.T.A.R. Puppysm Test
1. Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears,
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a
straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
Click here for more details